Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 1.
In Talbot County, eastern shore, state of Maryland, in a thinly populated worn-out district inhabited
by a white population of the lowest order, among slaves who in point of ignorance were fully in accord
with their surroundings-it was here that Frederick Douglass was born and spent the first years of his
childhood-February 1818. (1939)
Workbook: February, 2003
- February 28, 2003: She lost her virginity on a college field trip to the countryside outside Chiang Mai...
- February 27, 2003: She's not sure she knows her birthday.
- February 26, 2003: "Shirt and shoes required."
- February 25, 2003: One doesn't like having her back scratched...
- February 24, 2003: The problem with having a girlfriend with a husband is that she has to cancel her dates with you if he decides not to leave town.
- February 23, 2003: "All the girls talk about how cute you are. You could probably have anybody you want."
- February 22, 2003: Shiny, flat, coin-shaped object in the sky, flashes by at supersonic speed...
- February 21, 2003: He mentioned he wanted to meet with me to talk about his marriage problems.
- February 20, 2003: Her husband learned the truth through a Socratic process of elimination.
- February 19, 2003: Two steps into your lovely clifftop apartment and it rings inside your heart like the slam of a prison door.
- February 18, 2003: 757, window seat, left side, last row at the far back.
- February 17, 2003: Sad, eaten away.
- February 16, 2003: Her best friend told me, "You know, no-one's going to want to go out with you..."
- February 15, 2003: At lunch one day she leapt to my ear...
- February 14, 2003: Her new flame: Executive Director of a nonprofit she recently helped fund.
- February 13, 2003: Mushroom cloud. San Francisco Bay.
- February 12, 2003: The moment when she insisted on pulling out one of his gray hairs.
- February 11, 2003: The day after Judgement Day.
- February 10, 2003: She shared gossip about me, from the Chinese students.
- February 9, 2003: With her sister at the aquarium.
- February 8, 2003: She feels she's a bad person.
- February 7, 2003: Her father, who is clearly inhabited by demons, had this to say about the expensive shirts his wife bought him for xmas:
- February 6, 2003: Spring. Tall boy runs up zigzag stairs, arrives breathless and laughing.
- February 5, 2003: The way she leaves half-full ashtrays at points around the house...
- February 4, 2003: Her apartment on 3rd Avenue. Crying on the couch: after weeks of back-and-forth her boyfriend finally agrees that he wants to break up, too.
- February 3, 2003: Metal kids in the park.
- February 2, 2003: Her sister came to visit, stood staring nearsighted at the pictures on my desk.
- February 1, 2003: I asked her once, "Why'd we break up?"
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2013 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.