Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Toussaint L'Ouverture No. 6.
The birth of Toussaint L'Ouverture, May 20, 1743. Both of Toussaint's parents were slaves. (1938)
Workbook: May, 2003
- May 31, 2003: Neighbor cat, great gray tabby, mature, friendly, confident.
- May 30, 2003: Gurney, ER, institutional green walls, dirty white curtain as separator.
- May 29, 2003: Between scoops of mint chocolate chip she said, "We all know you're obsessed..."
- May 28, 2003: Best natural activist you've ever seen.
- May 27, 2003: You know you've reached an awkward age...
- May 26, 2003: As a child I was mesmerized by colors.
- May 25, 2003: Flag worship as superstition.
- May 24, 2003: TechnologyLand, DotCom startup, second floor offices above a nuclear radiology lab, San Francisco, CA.
- May 23, 2003: The "artist", self-described, Walter Keene, upset that one of his bug-eyed children has been removed from the office wall.
- May 22, 2003: Good Friday, beachfront motel, heavy surf.
- May 21, 2003: Rude, fat woman at the front desk, checking out.
- May 20, 2003: Smarmy office-female with lipstick and a pretend smile.
- May 19, 2003: Guest, leaning over the front-desk counter...
- May 18, 2003: Fat woman, blazing abalone earrings and thick coral lipstick...
- May 17, 2003: Hospital bed many sizes too large for little me.
- May 16, 2003: Men who claim they'd never break under torture are as naive as they are boring.
- May 15, 2003: I miss one for the things she says...
- May 14, 2003: "You look exactly like your pictures..."
- May 13, 2003: The label is all-important.
- May 12, 2003: She looked through my photo album.
- May 11, 2003: As a child the King James Bible's archaic English was an impediment.
- May 10, 2003: The twentieth anniversary is approaching of one of the worst things I've ever done.
- May 9, 2003: Pinay woman, heavyset, very short, watches TV in the Service Department's waiting room.
- May 8, 2003: "Free the bound periodicals!"
- May 7, 2003: "That damn boy'll never 'mount to nothin'."
- May 6, 2003: Neighbor girl, sometimes your babysitter while your mother's out.
- May 5, 2003: My cancer is like a friend who screens me from those parts of the world from which I choose to disengage.
- May 4, 2003: A clogged bathroom got her out of bed in the early a.m.
- May 3, 2003: She interacts with her TV, shouting "You're so stupid!" at game show contestants.
- May 2, 2003: The President made me late for work today.
- May 1, 2003: One of the few times I've knowingly hallucinated happened in college, when I'd been awake three or four nights at the end of a term.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2013 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.