Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Frederick Douglass No. 20.
Frederick Douglass left America to lecture in Great Britain. Here he met some of the most progressive
and liberal-minded men in the English speaking world. He made a great speech on Covent Garden Theatre
on August 7, 1846, in which he told of the people he represented-how at that moment there were three
million colored slaves in the United States. (1939)
Workbook: August, 2008
- August 31, 2008: Ten months behind.
- August 30, 2008: The house sounds good.
- August 29, 2008: A girl from thirty years ago wants to be in touch.
- August 28, 2008: Old friends, with nothing good to say.
- August 27, 2008: Suzi looked like Hitler.
- August 26, 2008: With evident trepidation the authorities remove you from class.
- August 25, 2008: Owes you $40,000.
- August 24, 2008: Up all night.
- August 23, 2008: You and Paul McCartney are giving a presentation on the music of the Beatles.
- August 22, 2008: "I love you."
- August 21, 2008: Fatigue, lassitude, disinterest.
- August 20, 2008: In blackouts she weeps bitterly...
- August 19, 2008: The only thing worse than a San Diego lawyer...
- August 18, 2008: She's been engaged to every boyfriend she's ever had.
- August 17, 2008: For the first time in their year-long relationship he told her "No."
- August 16, 2008: Peace in the house.
- August 15, 2008: Apartment life: kids aren't allowed to be loud.
- August 14, 2008: Well I may think that this whole scene is just a too appalling for me...
- August 13, 2008: You're participating in the complex robbery of a large installation.
- August 12, 2008: Ironic that after planning and saving and sacrificing for such a long time...
- August 11, 2008: The feeling of vitality, and promise.
- August 10, 2008: Now that this is settled I feel sorry for him.
- August 9, 2008: "The phone's ringing again."
- August 8, 2008: I loved a girl there...
- August 7, 2008: I felt so alone there.
- August 6, 2008: I came home from my radio shows just as dawn broke...
- August 5, 2008: Hot, first day of summer.
- August 4, 2008: Lonely landlady.
- August 3, 2008: Our focus is so resolutely on her needs.
- August 2, 2008: She's been engaged to every boyfriend she's ever had.
- August 1, 2008: I discovered computers during that time.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2013 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.