Jacob Lawrence, The Life of Harriet Tubman No. 11. "$500
Reward! Runaway from subscriber on Thursday night, the 4th inst., from the neighborhood of Cambridge, my
negro girl, Harriet, sometimes called Minty. Is dark chestnut color, rather stout build, but bright and
handsome. Speaks rather deep and has a scar over the left temple. She work a brown plaid shawl. I will
give the above reward captured outside the county, and $300 if captured inside the county, in either case
to be lodged in the Cambridge, Maryland, jail. (Signed) George Carter, Broadacres, near Cambridge, Maryland,
September 24th, 1849" (1940)
Workbook: September, 2008
- September 30, 2008: Chilly morning.
- September 29, 2008: Happy birthday, Norma Jean.
- September 28, 2008: There's an exit from the game world...
- September 27, 2008: Expected a period of productivity and focus while she was gone.
- September 26, 2008: She was very kind, wasn't she?
- September 25, 2008: I am no longer competent at this.
- September 24, 2008: Good to be free to make one's own choices...
- September 23, 2008: She began drinking after her breakdown...
- September 22, 2008: The difference in our paces.
- September 21, 2008: Astounded me with her tenderness.
- September 20, 2008: I asked her to go to the large bookstore downtown...
- September 19, 2008: I cleaned the bathroom, very thoroughly.
- September 18, 2008: Has a new boyfriend, but, feels uncomfortable talking about him.
- September 17, 2008: Surprising to recollect that his grand career "climb" required only three years...
- September 16, 2008: Reading Capital.
- September 15, 2008: I loved the apartment.
- September 14, 2008: Stress.
- September 13, 2008: Recurring dream:
- September 12, 2008: The best thing is the kitchen door...
- September 11, 2008: The silence is meaningful:
- September 10, 2008: A huge outdoor music festival is being held in the field surrounding your house.
- September 9, 2008: "Soft Rock."
- September 8, 2008: I was homeless for a different reason.
- September 7, 2008: After they were expelled from the sober house they lived in her car...
- September 6, 2008: Her gratitude for hot showers.
- September 5, 2008: My anger at her family.
- September 4, 2008: Asleep in her car...
- September 3, 2008: Damaged gear.
- September 2, 2008: One day when you were away I made bacon and eggs for kitty and me.
- September 1, 2008: Loves to be groomed.
Go back to the main workbook page
© 2002-2013 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.