Jacob Lawrence, The Studio (1977)
This writing is a daily workbook
for fiction emphasizing formal experimentation.
"Blogging as Cubism"
Several of these pieces have appeared in online literary 'zines, including
The SoMa Literary Review,
During the month of November 2002,
The Blue Moon Review
linked to them as their first-ever "Guest Blog."
These are among the best lit pubs on the 'net.
Here's a grouping of
Here's some more
often based on the same techniques.
"My skewed vision was that of a man looking at himself by looking at what he looks at."
--William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways
"Of all the ways of acquiring books, writing them oneself is regarded as the most praiseworthy."
April 20, 2012:
Tall man laughing at the vending machine that refuses his dollar.
"So: you're going to be one of those experiences..."
April 19, 2012:
Woman with oxygen says, delighted, "This is cool!"
My neighbor on the train.
Carries oxygen in a thin backpack slung over one shoulder.
Clear tube held in place just below each nostril.
She wears a waterproof wilderness parka, hiking boots, tights, and her oxygen tank.
Says to her husband, "Did you hear me giggling when we rode those ATVs?"
They're on adventure holiday; she's in love, absolutely in love, with every moment.
It's a treat for their seventh anniversary.
Another couple celebrates their 40th.
"I don't know if we'll live that long," she says, shaking her head wistfully.
"I gotta thing," she says.
"It's a helluva thing," her husband adds.
Later as we pass through a beautiful rocky gorge with waterfalls on the left:
"It's all that you can process in one day, you know? It's all so amazing."
April 18, 2012:
To everything (turn turn turn)
there is a season (turn turn turn)
The two most beautiful girls in school sing a duet with guitars.
Beautiful girl #1 says, "The words are Ecclesiastes; the music is by The Byrds".
They're both in bell bottoms. Their hair is long and straight. It's 1973, and music truly, truly matters.
And a time to every purpose
- April 17, 2012: Scratchy voice over school PA: The President is dead.
- April 16, 2012: Obese people in the shade, eating ice cream, complaining of how awful Tahiti was.
- April 15, 2012: Angry man wants a fight.
- April 14, 2012: Kafka wrote, "I am a memory come alive."
- April 13, 2012: She asked if I get jealous.
- April 12, 2012: She loves the buzz of early romance.
- April 11, 2012: Pretty lady with husky voice...
- April 10, 2012: Red light violation, Durango CO.
- April 9, 2012: Our car has fallen under water.
- April 8, 2012: You can love people even though you're critical of their flaws.
- April 7, 2012: I want to go west.
- April 6, 2012: It's time to wake up.
- April 5, 2012: Motion. Music. Joy.
- April 4, 2012: I should've done something.
- April 3, 2012: She wants to be part of the cool crowd.
- April 2, 2012: Your mother is driving a white delivery van.
- April 1, 2012: Epic battle: evil twin struggles to supplant good twin.
- March 31, 2012: Hard core on the streetcorners.
- March 30, 2012: Silver pony tail with headband, Navaho earrings.
- March 29, 2012: Our parents lived life mediated by television.
- March 28, 2012: Babydog:
- March 27, 2012: Joyful warrior.
- March 26, 2012: Filling a vacancy, you've been appointed youngest Senator in history.
- March 25, 2012: Your college friend is angry because you went to lunch without him.
- March 24, 2012: He's an artist at picking his nose.
- March 23, 2012: Superdark shades, like a blind person's.
- March 22, 2012: Silver City seems drugged today.
- March 21, 2012: Your brain's not your own.
- March 20, 2012: Names, photos, and family histories of well-to-do patrons are displayed prominently...
- March 19, 2012: As I blew town a single sunray burst through morning fog...
- March 18, 2012: 85 mph on sea bed.
- March 17, 2012: Cities are sand dunes:
- March 16, 2012: Petrol and soda, stop for a pee:
- March 15, 2012: Emma Bovary stands with hands on hips...
- March 14, 2012: She ducked out to make room for me.
- March 13, 2012: Second wind.
- March 12, 2012: Divided by time zones and continents and international borders.
- March 11, 2012: Certain rights.
- March 10, 2012: What's inside the active frame set?
- March 9, 2012: What's inside the active frame set?
- March 8, 2012: On Shelter Island there's a friendship bell...
- March 7, 2012: She took such delight in words I took for granted.
- March 6, 2012: Learning disability.
- March 5, 2012: "Open it!"
- March 4, 2012: He was so cold to her.
- March 3, 2012: They all have cameras.
- March 2, 2012: I don't think we ever cared about the Park.
- March 1, 2012: Back streets.
© 2002-2013 Mark Phillips.
All rights reserved.
This writing is fiction. Please don't confuse it with reality.
This site has a