September 20, 2005:

It looks like the crows have a good life here. It's beautiful, the people seem friendly.

"Is there food for you here?" You ask them. "Caw!", comes the answer.

"Are the people good to you?" "Caw!"

"Couldn't ask for a more lovely place to live." "Caw!"

"I hope the kids don't chase you or anything like that. They don't really mean harm. They're just children." "Caw!"

Time for your rest break to be over.

"Well, nice chatting. I'm trying to make it to Coogee before sunset, so I'll be off. Later!" "Caw!"

You turn, start up the dirt path, climb a short slope, eyes to the trail beneath your feet.

But then... The flapping of strong black wings. A crow flies over your shoulder, so close that you feel its wind and smell its wild bird smell. Before you can think it lands in a tree to your right, and says, in a rising voice which sounds eerily human, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

Startled — really, taken aback — you look up. Before your nose is a black and yellow spider the size of your opened hand. Its web is spun across the trail. Half a step more and you'd have kissed it.

Happily, happily, despite your aching knees, you hike for several hours more, marvelling about the places you end up in this life, and the friends you make.