September 23, 2016:
"I want my life to be... different."
The film is marketed as early cougar, where Ben's affair with Mrs. Robinson is incorrectly highlighted as the purpose of the narrative. Its true center is Ben's alienation from the shallow, materialistic culture of the middle-class suburbanites who define and constrain his possibilities. Encapsulated succinctly and brilliantly by the single word "plastics", and by the scuba suit scene, where Ben's isolation is radical, the hands of both parents pushing him literally under the surface.
Mrs. Robinson's tragedy underscores the emptiness of that culture. Her empty life and empty bed are determined inevitably by her pregnancy, in a social context that demands the marriage which destroys her soul. Again brilliantly encapsulated by the heart-wrenching zoom-out from the doorway of Elaine's bedroom, rain-drenched and backed alone into a barren corner of her cavernous prison-house.
Their affair is a defeat for Benjamin, a surrender to the bored emptiness of his parents' thoughtlessly hollow world. It's a lifeline for Mrs. Robinson, whose agony in the hallway is for herself, not her daughter.
It's a '60s film, a movie which articulates in slyly confident terms the Boomers' generational rebellion against that thoughtless hollow culture it shrewdly satirizes. With its sweet, optimistic ending suggesting that blind thoughtless rebellion has a chance of success. Just say no, and love will conquer all.
It didn't. "The '60s" failed, largely because of that blind thoughtlessness. Chronicled and encapsulated in turn by the Rolling Stones' brilliant suite of albums beginning in 1968, the year of The Graduate, ending in 1972 with "The '60s" in full disastrous rout.
September 22, 2016:
I remember moments in the middle.
Dark. It has a darkness, as though all light were muted.
What's this word? End, and this is the end.
September 21, 2016:
Day for night.
Do they make conscious choices?
These are all grade school words.
- September 20, 2016: Steve Smug, network tech...
- September 19, 2016: Blood sugar.
- September 18, 2016: The Dean's yummy teenage daughter chased me around our workspace...
- September 17, 2016: One time on the freeway he apologized for his car.
- September 16, 2016: Bare legs in cowgirl boots, Asian, sees me looking.
- September 15, 2016: "There was just a little blood,"
- September 14, 2016: Interrupter.
- September 13, 2016: No sound.
- September 12, 2016: Nun in white gazes skyward...
- September 11, 2016: Supernarcissisticconsultantegofuck can't stop explaining.
- September 10, 2016: She has a certain jock arrogance.
- September 9, 2016: You've antagonized everyone by arguing with a famous comedian.
- September 8, 2016: Blue Blazer Man digs through his bag.
- September 7, 2016: Let's play "Count the Man Buns!"
- September 6, 2016: The not far distant sky.
- September 5, 2016: My rowbuddy's a big guy with a raging case of sleep apnea.
- September 4, 2016: Lank coils of seaweed hair around me, my heart, my soul.
- September 3, 2016: Who is the ghost from limbo patrum,...
- September 2, 2016: In saddles of the leaders, leaping leaders, rode outriders.
- September 1, 2016: It was her birthday, once.
- August 31, 2016: This is the very worst hour of the day.
- August 30, 2016: He's dead. The man upstairs is dead.
- August 29, 2016: Throb always without you and the throb always within.
- August 28, 2016: No sound.
- August 27, 2016: He's a caution to rattlesnakes.
- August 26, 2016: Drop-dead brilliant, and used to it.
- August 25, 2016: Rude-ass prick throws his seat back, entitled.
- August 24, 2016: As you stumble the long sword...
- August 23, 2016: The moon is an unusual shape.
- August 22, 2016: Blues and rock and gospel, soup, boiled together.
- August 21, 2016: High voices.
- August 20, 2016: Allworthy, blushing furiously all over from front to nates...
- August 19, 2016: Then Mount Jerome for the protestants.
- August 18, 2016: The camel, lifting a foreleg...
- August 17, 2016: But what if they like each other?
- August 16, 2016: I see my shadow.
- August 15, 2016: Johnny Careful-With-Germs wipes the seat down with disinfectant...
- August 14, 2016: Hispanic beauty in the waiting area...
- August 13, 2016: Regular Army in civvies.
- August 12, 2016: Middle-aged women with Texas accents, talking breakfast.
- August 11, 2016: I know why the dog howls at the moon.
- August 10, 2016: She's the Devil, that lady cop.
- August 9, 2016: We were one person for a split second.
- August 8, 2016: Souls are over rated.
- August 7, 2016: Here we are talking again.
- August 6, 2016: The Devil once told me I was her only friend.
- August 5, 2016: Smell of half-eaten food in a very small place.
- August 4, 2016: Crowding.
- August 3, 2016: Nun in white habit speed walking up and down the terminal.
- August 2, 2016: Johnny Depp Junior works his aviators on the moving walk.
- August 1, 2016: Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty.